Eighth annual White Salmon RiverFest & Symposium
- When: Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Where: Husum, Washington (10 min. north of Hood River)
- Cost: Free - $20
- Age limit: All ages
- Categories: Activities: Dance, Education, Festivals, Outdoor, Children: Teens, Community, Lectures, Community meeting, Bluegrass, Music: All
The White Salmon Riverfest and Symposium kicks off July 10 with the popular annual community float. This affordable, $20 raft trip is designed for the local community to enjoy the river together. The schedule includes:
10 a.m. - Annual Gorge Community White Salmon Rafting trip
Noon-2 p.m. - lunch by Big Man Rotisserie, Husum (behind the fire hall)
2-5 p.m. - River Symposium at Husum Fire Station, with some incredible raffle items .... seriously.
- State of the River: LNT, river use, private property use, by Margaret Neuman, Mid-Columbia Fisheries
- Invasive Species, by Blaine Parker, Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission Aquatic Invasive Species coordinator
- Salmon, who's back in the river? by Rod Engle, Fish & Wildlife
- Large Wood - Hazard or Habitat? video & moderated panel discussion with Tom Okeefe/AW, Diane Driscoll/Noaa Fisheries, Will Conley/Yakama Nation/boater, Bill Norris, PE interfluve, Tim Hardin/Klickiat SAR/boater, Sue Baker/Forest Service
Informational booths by additional river-related organizations
Raffles of items by supporting businesses/sponsors
5 p.m. - Boat washing demo by Fish & Wildlife/Forest Service
5.30-7 p.m. - Paddle social by Kayak Shed and Trash Bash by Ben Kofoed & Sunny Bourdon.
6.30-11 p.m. - Riverside Party at Husum Riverside Bed & Breakfast & Ice house Cafe, including food, liquids & SHED SHAKERS!! There will also be a showing of OPB's "The White Salmon River Runs Free," by Andy Maser.
PLEASE REGISTER TO THE COMMUNITY FLOAT IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON JOINING. It traditionally fills up. Guides are being invited from all White Salmon outfitters to guide a raft and be part of this fun trip.
If we all want to continue using this river for recreation, we need to get our heads together to create some awareness about some issues we will be facing, and to make some commitments to minimize our impacts.