Fires ruin Odell homes

Electrical cord overload is the suspected cause of two destructive house fires in Odell over the past week.

On Saturday at 6 p.m., Odell Fire Department responded to a fire at the home of Eliezer and Amelia Flores in AGA Mobile Home Park. Fire gutted the structure, causing $50,000 damage. The Flores and their two children were not home, and are currently staying with neighbors, said Odell fire chief Jeff Walker.

Fire caused $150,000 to the home of Bobby Shewey on Bartlett Road on April 17 at 2 p.m., Walker reported. The home was destroyed, but the family had left an hour earlier to go into town, Walker said. Initially, firefighters believed a man and an infant were inside the home. The Shewey family is staying with local relatives.

In both fires, Odell had help from firefighters from the Pine Grove and Westside fire departments, Walker said. No one was hurt in either fire. The Hood River Chapter of American Red Cross is providing assistance to both families, he said.

Walker urged homeowners to use extension cords appropriately and avoid using too many appliances on a cord. He said one way to reduce fire hazard is to install a power strip with a circuit breaker.

News and information from our partners


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site. A user's first several comments must be manually approved by a moderator.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)