Friday, November 22, 2002
These holiday events are scheduled around the mid-Columbia.
* Dec. 3 — Holiday Open House at Columbia Gorge Discovery Center, Christmas music by local groups, prime rib dinner or chicken marsala for $10.95, free fresh baked cookies and beverages, games with prizes for kids, crafts, storytelling, Christmas movies, Santa Claus, 5-9 p.m. All activities are free except for the dinner.
* Dec. 4 — Beta Sigma Phi holds its annual Christmas Auction, “What Christmas Means to Me,” in the ballroom of the Hood River Elks Club. Viewing is at 6:30 p.m., the auction begins at 7 p.m. Bring food to be donated to the FISH food bank and be automatically entered into door prize drawings. Proceeds support two high school scholarships, FISH and other local projects.
* Dec. 5 — The Trail Band will perform at Hood River Middle School auditorium in a benefit for Hood River Education Association. “Christmas with the Trail Band” features songs, humorous stories, and instruments from holiday seasons past. Linda Hornbuckle will join the troupe for the show. Tickets are available for $15 for adults and $6 for children at Waucoma Bookstore, Cascade Credit Union in Hood River, the Hood River County School District office, Collage of the Gorge in White Salmon and Cascade Ice Cream and Deli in Cascade Locks.
* Dec. 6 — The annual Hospice of the Gorge Festival of the Trees event will be at The Dalles Civic Auditorium ballroom. Tickets cost $7.50 and are available at Klindts’ Booksellers and The Dalles Chamber of Commerce in The Dalles, Waucoma Books in Hood River, or by calling Hospice at 541-296-3228, 541-387-6449. The ticket price includes admission Friday evening to the auction, desserts and beverages. Trees will be auctioned off during the course of the evening starting at 8 p.m. and a silent auction will take place concurrently. All proceeds will go to Hospice of The Gorge. The evening is sponsored by Columbia River Bank.
* Dec. 6 — Asbury United Methodist Church at 616 State St., in Hood River will hold its annual holiday bazaar and bake sale on from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
* Dec. 6 — St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in White Salmon holds its 29th annual Christmas Bazaar from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Gifts, ornaments, baked goods, candies, jellies, craft items will be sold, and a raffle conducted.
* Dec. 7-8 — 23rd Annual Mosier Country Christmas Fair at the Mosier School and American Legion Hall in Mosier. Crafts, food, Christmas trees and pictures with Santa will be featured. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Breakfast will be served at the Legion Hall both days from 7 to 11 a.m. Lunch will be served at the Mosier School. Admission is $1 or one can of food to be donated to the local Christmas Project.
* Dec. 12 — A Lewis and Clark Christmas Story, 2 p.m., free with regular admission. The presentation will be by curator Ken Karsmizki.
* Dec. 14-15: Last Chance Holiday Bazaar, expanded this year to two days, at Hood River County Fairgrounds. More than 40 vendors will be selling one-of-a-kind handcrafted gifts, deocrating ideas, baked items and other treasures. A wine-tasting is offered, and food and beverages will be for sale at the fairgrounds kitchen. Parking is free.
* Dec. 14 — Hood River Saturday Market’s annual Holiday Market will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. This year’s holiday event will be held at the Hood River Middle School, on May Street across from the swimming pool. It will feature handmade and hand-crafted works from local artisans. There will also be local fruit, food and beverages.
According to Market Manager Lisa Conway, “this is an excellent time to visit with local artists and finish your holiday shopping in a relaxing atmosphere. We will have pottery, furniture, clothes, blown-glass, jewelry, sculpture, paintings and fresh fruit, to name just a few.
This will be a celebration of local talent and the quality of our local arts and crafts.” Mr. and Mrs. Claus will on hand all day, to visit with kids and adults. If you are interested in being a vendor at the Hood River Saturday Market’s Holiday Market, please call 541-387-8349.
* Dec. 15 — Columbia Basin Care Facility in The Dalles will hold a bazaar, and vendors are needed — the deadline is Dec. 2. Call 541-296-2150 for details. The bazaar will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at The Dalles Armory.
Does your non-profit group have a holiday bazaar or event you’d like the community to know about? Please submit a brief item to Hood River News by mail, at P.O. Box 390, or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Notices must include a daytime telephone number, and are subject to editing for length.