News staff writer
February 4, 2006
Beginning Feb. 2, IRS-trained volunteers are offering tax assistance in most Oregon and Washington counties to eligible taxpayers.
Tax-Aide is administered through the AARP Foundation in cooperation with IRS and the Oregon Department of Revenue, is designed to help most elderly, low-income, limited English proficiency and disabled taxpayers with the preparation of their basic tax returns.
In addition, many people who have income under $37,263 and qualify for the refundable Earned Income Credit (EIC) may have their returns prepared for them by the IRS volunteers.
Electronic filing (e-filing) will also be available in this area to help participants get their refunds faster. E-filing also reduces processing errors and gives confirmation that the participant’s return has been received.
Interested taxpayers should bring:
* Picture identification for yourself and spouse, if married filing jointly;
* Social Security card(s) or Taxpayer Identification Number(s) for you, your spouse and all dependents;
* Copy of last year’s tax return (very important — helps volunteer prepare this year’s return);
* Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) from each employer;
* Forms 1099-INT or 1099-DIV (to report interest and dividends);
* SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 (to report Social Security and railroad retirement);
* 1099-R (to report pension income);
* List of your medical expenses, taxes, interest, contributions, and miscellaneous expenses (to itemize your deductions);
* For ERA form: landlord information and amount of rent, utilities, and fuel paid in 2005;
* The Multnomah County tax return package if you lived in Multnomah County in 2005.
* Elderly Rental Assistance (ERA) forms and information, which will be mailed to most eligible participants.
Below is a list of locations and times for AARP Tax-Aide. Those who cannot get to a site may request a home visit by calling Lindesay Crooks for an appointment, 386-4624.
* Hood River Adult Center
2010 Sterling Drive, 386-2060
Walk-in: Mondays and Tuesdays, 6-8 p.m.; Thursdays 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Bilingual help available
* Hood River County Library 502 State St.
Walk-in: Mondays and Tuesdays, 6-8 p.m. Bilingual help available
* Parkdale Community Center
7300 Clear Creek Road, 352-6525
Walk in: second and fourth Wednesdays, 6-8:30 p.m. Bilingual help available
* Klickitat County Senior Services
157 N.E. East Ave., (509) 493-3068.
By appointment: second and fourth Wednesdays