Snowboarder death remains mystery

A 15-year-old snowboarder from Portland died Wednesday night, Dec. 22, at Mt. Hood Meadows.

Authorities say the death was unrelated to snowboarding and the exact cause of death remains under investigation.

Ilya P. Sirosh was discovered by the resort's ski patrol face down in the snow while they were conducting a sweep of North Canyon trail at approximately 9:24 p.m. According to the Hood River County Sheriff's Department, information from the resort showed Sirosh boarded a ski lift at just before 9 p.m., when lifts closed for the evening.

The ski patrol began resuscitation efforts and transported the snowboarder to the resort's medical clinic, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Sirosh is the fourth snowboarder to die at Mt. Hood Meadows in 2010. The previous three, Kyle Kribinsky, 23, of Vancouver, Levi Krukowski, 18, of Portland and Joshua Halberg, 19, of Battle Ground, Wash., died between February and April. Kribinsky, Krukowski and Halberg all died in snowboarding-relating accidents.

Both the Hood River County and Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office conducted investigations into Sirosh's death.

The state medical examiners office would not release details of its investigation, but said his death was not caused by a snowboarding accident.

"There were no injuries on him," said Dr. Clifford Nelson of the state medical examiners office. "It was not caused by an accident."

Nelson said the final cause of death would be determined followed the results of tests by the state medical examiner.

"We still haven't discovered a cause of death," Hood River County Asst. Medical Examiner Craig Danner said. "It was more likely a natural death but we are still conducting tests. We're continuing to investigate."

According to the sheriff's department report on the incident, reports given to responding deputies said Sirosh was not wearing a helmet when he was located.

The victim's family was at the resort but there were no witnesses to the incident.

"Our condolences to the family and friends," Meadows spokesman Dave Tragethon said. "It is so random and unfortunate and tragic, especially at this time of the year."

Tragethon also paid credit to the ski patrol for its rapid response.

"It speaks to quality and professionalism of the patrol that the snowboarder was found before there was any report of a missing snowboarder," he said.

Detective Matt English of the sheriff's department said the exact circumstances of the incident were still under investigation.

News and information from our partners


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site. A user's first several comments must be manually approved by a moderator.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)