Maryhill Museum of Art announces 2013 schedule

Maryhill Museum of Art today announces its schedule of special exhibitions for the 2013 season, which runs March 15-Nov. 15.

The museum's permanent exhibitions feature works by Auguste Rodin, European and American paintings, royal memorabilia from Queen Marie of Romania, Orthodox icons, unique chess sets, the renowned Théâtre de la Mode and American Indian art.

In addition to these permanent exhibitions, Maryhill Museum of Art’s 2013 special exhibition schedule is as follows:

The Hound of Heaven (March 15-May 27)

R.H. Ives Gammell’s “A Pictorial Sequence” is based on “The Hound of Heaven,” a 182-line religious poem by English poet Francis Thompson (1859-1907).

Kenneth Standhardt: Impressions (March 15-Nov. 15)

Kenneth Standhardt is a Eugene-based ceramic artist who creates intricately patterned stoneware vessels using everyday kitchen tools. Laura & John Cheney Gallery

Arthur Higgins: Prints (March 15-Nov. 15)

The late Arthur Higgins (1942–2011) was a prolific sculptor, painter and printmaker. He spent much of his career in Alaska, where he completed more than 40 public art commissions.

Higgins moved to Mosier in 1986 and produced many kinetic sculptures, two of which are the collection of Maryhill Museum of Art.

Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition (May 18-Oct. 6)

During 2013, the grounds surrounding Maryhill Museum of Art will feature three works by Portland sculptor Mike Suri. Among these will be “Brushing,” which was first installed at the museum in 2009.

An additional 15 works by other Pacific Northwest artists will also be on view.

Eanger Irving Couse on the Columbia River (June 8-Sept. 2)

Art student Eanger Irving Couse married Virginia Walker in Paris in 1889. Two years later, the couple spent a season living with Virginia’s parents at the Walker Ranch in Klickitat County, where Couse first painted Indian subjects.

Windows to Heaven: Treasures from the Museum of Russian Icons (Sept. 14-Nov. 15)

An exhibition featuring 25 historically significant Russian icons that date from 1590 to the present. The exhibition defines icons, and the historical background of their systematic destruction by the Iconoclasts (730–787 AD and 813–843 AD).

Featured icons include images of St. Nicholas and St. George, Old Testament scenes, the life of Jesus and the Mother of God.

News and information from our partners


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site. A user's first several comments must be manually approved by a moderator.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)