Fresh out of jail, man gets drunk, hit by train

January 4, 2012

After a drinking binge initiated upon his release from NORCOR on Dec. 30, Paul Lawayne Loyd, a transient who has been repeatedly arrested in Hood River, attempted to flash a passing train with a tattoo emblazoned on his chest.

Instead, he ended up being struck by the train, landing himself in the hospital with a broken arm. Loyd was later cited by Oregon State Police based on a complaint from the railroad. According to OSP reports alcohol is a contributing factor in the incident.

According to Hood River County Sheriff Det. Jerry Brown, upon release from Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital on Dec. 31, Loyd chose to take a bus out of town, adhering to his signed conditional release.

The 47-year old Loyd was cited by OSP for criminal trespass and disorderly conduct after being sideswiped by a passing train on the afternoon of Dec. 30 along railroad tracks east of Hood River. He was taken to PHRMH by emergency responders for treatment of his non-life-threatening injuries.

According to Brown, once Loyd's broken arm was treated at PHRMH, Hood River City Police officers Pulido, Cheli and Anderson arrived to ensure Loyd was supervised. Chief Holste later arrived and assisted Loyd in attempting to collect his belongings stashed in Bingen and at other holding facilities.

Failing to locate one of his bags, but equipped with his remaining belongings and his bicycle, Holste coordinated transportation through Greyhound and Loyd was offered a bus ticket to leave town.

"We knew his conditional release didn't allow him to be in Hood River and we wanted to make sure he followed that order," said Brown, who provided the cash for his ticket from his own bank account.

"It used to be that our Sunshine Division could provide bus tickets - they were allowed to. But now it is not uncommon for officers to provide their own money to help someone out," said Brown.

"I give kudos to Greyhound and their driver, who allowed Loyd to bring his bicycle on board," said Holste.

Loyd, who was reportedly sober, polite and well-behaved during his preparations to leave the county, boarded a Greyhound bus at 3 p.m. Dec. 31 for a non-stop ride into the Portland Metro bus terminal. Greyhound waived the bus fare, leaving Loyd with some money for food.

Holste acknowledged that he had planned to transport Loyd himself to a shelter in Portland that would provide housing and assist in alcohol recovery treatment if Greyhound had refused Loyd's bicycle.

According to Holste, Loyd will still face two charges in Hood River County stemming from the most recent incident. The Hood River County District Attorney's office, at press time, had not yet received the official report from OSP and had no arraignment date set.

"Loyd may return for his arraignment, but if he doesn't, he'll have warrants outstanding and would be arrested if he returned in the future," said Holste.

Details of Loyd's train encounter follow as well as details on previous arrests.

According to Senior Trooper Scott Rector, on Dec. 30 at approximately 4:10 p.m. OSP troopers and a Wasco County sheriff deputy were dispatched to a report that a man was struck by a train between Hood River and Mosier.

Following an area search for about 90 minutes a citizen reported seeing a man staggering near the westbound lanes of Interstate 84 just east of Hood River.

Emergency responders located the man, identified as Loyd, and he was transported by ambulance to PHRMH for treatment of injuries including a broken arm.

Investigation indicates Loyd was released Friday morning from the NORCOR facility in The Dalles and started drinking alcohol as he made his way on foot toward Hood River.

Loyd, who is known to travel along the railroad tracks, was walking west when a train operator saw him standing on the tracks and sounded the train's horn. He reportedly lifted up his shirt to show a chest tattoo of the word "Railroad" as the train continued toward him. As he began to move off the tracks he was struck by a ladder on the side of the passing train.

Loyd was later cited by Rector at the hospital to appear in Hood River County Circuit Court on charges of criminal trespass in the first degree and disorderly conduct in the second degree.

Beginning Nov. 3, Loyd, who traversed Hood River County by bicycle, was involved in several incidents of disorderly conduct toward individuals, trespassing, animal harassment and public intoxication.

As part of his sentencing, Loyd has been ordered to have no contact with anyone in Hood River County following his release and to leave the county immediately.

On two other releases, Loyd has failed to leave the county and was subsequently rearrested for probation violations.

News and information from our partners


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site. A user's first several comments must be manually approved by a moderator.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)