THE DALLES — The Original Courthouse Regional History Forum series returns starting Feb. 2.
Programs begin at 1:30 p.m. Saturdays in the upstairs courtroom of the 1859 courthouse, at 410 W. Second Place, behind the Chamber of Commerce/Visitors Center.
There is no fee for admission but donations are welcome. Coffee and cookies are served.
The Feb. 2 talk will be “The Modoc War: Archeology and Historic Photos.”
Local archeologists Eric Gleason and Jacqui Cheung will share the results of their survey at the Captain Jack’s Stronghold site of the Modoc War of 1872-’73.
They will also show 3-D photos of the last of the Indian wars fought in southern Oregon and Northern California taken with stereoscopic camera at the time of the war.
The Feb. 9 forum will be “Cloud Cap Inn: The Oldest Commercial Building on Mount Hood.”
Information Assistant for USFS Hood River Ranger District Ron Kikel will host a virtual tour of the historic lodge. The Inn was constructed in the 1880s before the frontier was considered closed. It had amenities such as indoor plumbing and telephones that most Americans would not see in their own homes for decades.
On Feb. 16, Fort Dalles Riders’ historian Linda Miller will present “Blanche McGaughey, Early Cowgirl,” with photos and stories about Blanche McGaughey Sammis, longtime Wasco County resident.
In her early life Blanche was a lady bronc rider, bulldogger and steer roper, touring with the 101 Wild West Show. She competed and performed from 1912-14 and opened the door for women to participate in the sport of rodeo today.
Feb. 23 will bring “The Mint that Never Was and the Mint that Shouldn’t Have Been,” presented by local coin collectors and historians Sandy Bisset and Rodger Nichols, who will offer a “show and tell” about two mints. One is the unfinished mint in The Dalles, and the other actually minted coins during Oregon Territory days.
A rare 1849 $5 gold “beaver coin” minted at Oregon City sold for $125,000 in 2006.