As of Friday, November 29, 2013
‘Tis the season for good will to reign supreme. So with that in mind our benevolent “Barack-a Claus” wishes all the voluminous formerly covered health care citizens a Very Barry Cancellation.
You have to love corporate America, turning a day of thanksgiving into a day of greed. No longer is it about family and friends and giving thanks for what we have, but what you can buy with your dollar.
Greed: It’s what America is about!
I am proud to say there are a few of us who still believe in family, friends and being thankful of what we have; not for what we can gain.
The Second Amendment: a Liberal Democratic Party achievement.
On May 29, 1790, Rhode Island became the 13th and last state to ratify the Constitution. America had changed greatly since the Boston Tea Party of 1773 — tradesmen, farmers, shopkeepers and various political groups all participated to protest taxes and representation. The rebellious Samuel Adams was one of the influential participants.
After the Treaty of Paris in 1783, tens of thousands of conservatives and Loyalists left America, many to Canada.
Rhode Island was dominated by the rural Country party. The state had not participated in the Continental Convention of 1787 and delayed signing the Constitution as it did not explicitly reflect the natural rights of men — John Locke’s liberty.
During this time federalists, who were merchants and lived in the cities, would support the Constitution but not a bill of rights, while anti-federalists — farmers — the Constitution and a bill of rights — Portland vs. Hood River.
James Madison merged multiple state bill of rights and after a vigorous debate in congress incorporated into the current Bill of Rights.
Madison, Thomas Jefferson and Samuel Adams along with the majority of anti-federalists formed the Republican-Democratic party — later changed to just Democratic Party.
Most conservatives had left America at this time, and Second Amendment rights were born from liberalism and the Democratic Party. The Federalist Party ceased to exist in 1820 and the current Republican Party first won election in 1860. Some of the Tea Party participants are still in Canada.
Despite having over 49 percent of the combined population and also paying over 49 percent of the property taxes supporting the Columbia Gorge Community College, Hood River County gets only 32 percent of the community ed classes taught here while the other 68 percent are taught in The Dalles. That is patently unfair to the residents of Hood River County.
I am writing in support of The History Museum of Hood River County. Our museum is a source of civic pride in the community of Hood River and has been visited by people from all over the world.
I have read with great disappointment the treatment of the museum board by the board of commissioners. The museum board sounds like a group of dedicated volunteers who need some help and compassion from the commissioners; not punitive measures, such as changing locks, canceling exhibits, even suspending the membership program, threats of lawyers, etc.
Come on, folks: This is Hood River, after all; not a big-city crime syndicate.
I believe a volunteer group should be treated with respect and dignity. If you want to discourage volunteerism, this is certainly a way to do it.
I would hope to see some positive input from the commissioners to remedy this situation.