Time to renew burn permits

As of Jan. 1, all burning permits issued by Oregon Department of Forestry in the 2014 calendar year have expired.

ODF requires a burn permit year-round for all burn barrels and debris piles.

People who want to renew a permit or did not get a permit last year and would like one, can make a request via phone, e-mail, fax, or regular mail.

If you live within the boundary of Mid-Columbia Fire and Rescue, Mosier Fire District, or any Hood River County rural or city fire department, you must obtain a permit through the agency.

All permits issued by these entities will be accepted by ODF.

Although winter weather reduces the risk of fire spread through wildland fuels, ODF says special caution still needs to be taken around structures and other combustible materials.

Residents may be held liable for suppression costs associated with a fire on their property.

For that reason, they are asked to read, understand, and follow all of the information they receive with your permit. And consider alternatives to burning, such as composting or taking yard debris to thelocal transfer station.

Most sites take yard debris for a small price and some offer free drop off dates during certain times of the year.

To submit a permit request online, or for more information visit ODF’s website at oregon.gov/ODF/centraloregon.

News and information from our partners


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site. A user's first several comments must be manually approved by a moderator.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)