150 block exit 63 overpass for 9 minutes as demonstration for George Floyd
Story updated 1:43 p.m. on June 4 
About 150 people, mostly young people, blocked the exit 63 overpass bridge Wednesday evening for nine minutes as a demonstration of support for the memory of George Floyd of Minneapolis. The 6:30 p.m. event started with a 150-person rally at Second and State streets and was the third protest action this week in Hood River by Gorge residents.
Oregon State Police responded, followed by Hood River Police Chief Neal Holste.
To update an original report, OSP initially asked the protestors to move, according to organizer Rosie Strange.
“At that point, we started the chant ‘I Can’t Breath’,” the last words of George Floyd, Strange said.
“We had coordinated our own traffic control,” she said. While the protesters remained in place, an adult spoke with a trooper and explained that they planned to remain in place for the full nine minutes, and the trooper agreed.
Strange read the transcript of Floyd’s last words before he was choked to death May 25 by Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin, which has sparked more than a week of demonstrations and protests around the country and globally.
Holste said he parked his vehicle in the south end of the bridge to protect the group while OSP blocked the intersection from the north.
“They we’re doing it peacefully and we gave them some time,” Holste said. “They wanted to make a point and they chose a pretty good place because we could protect them.” Holste said drivers were cooperative in detouring East to exit 64.
The protesters met with several shouted insults and one driver revved her vehicle and accelerated and suddenly braked in what protesters viewed as a threatening manner.
Law enforcement had not ordered them to move, according to a group of demonstrators interviewed as they left the location.
“They protected us and let us stay,” said demonstrator Teryn Maccabee. “I expected them to tell is something but they were respectful. That’s what I would expect anyone to do,” said participant Chloe Bullack.
The group walked north to Second and Riverside and dispersed after a small celebration of the fact that it had gone peacefully, according to Strange.

(5) comments


Well done to all involved.

The protesters did this the right way.

Both Chief Holste's and the state trooper's behavior were that of responsible peace officers.


Yes the operative word is peacefully however I’m disturbed by some of the signs and placards that read no Justice no peace which sounds like they’re advocating violence which is perpetrating the whole problem


Well done! Raising awareness peacefully.


selfish virtue signaling accomplishes nothing toward their stated goals


Well, they got your attention. Hopefully you will use that nudge to reflect on the specific actions you can take to help create a more just world. Every action people take to build justice and fairness is a step worth taking.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.